Most Sushis are made with fresh raw fish. What many don’t know: There are many sushi variations that do without fish and are therefore suitable for vegetarian and even vegan diets. Here you will find recipes for Maki, Inside-Out and Nigiri sushi without fish.
You also need seaweed nori leaves, special sushi rice and the right sushi accessories like a bamboo roll mat.
BASIC RECIPE FOR SUSHI RICE
If you want to make sushi yourself, you will need special sushi rice, which you can get at the Asian market, rice vinegar as well as salt and sugar. You will also need a pot or rice cooker, water, a bowl and a spoon to use later. Now it’s time to prepare the rice. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Wash the rice with cold water until it is clear.
- Put rice together with water into rice cooker or pot & cook according to instructions
- Pour rice into a bowl
- Mix rice vinegar, salt and sugar*, heat lightly & add to rice
- Mix everything well with a spoon and cover with a cloth.
For 400 grams of rice, mix three tablespoons of rice vinegar with one tablespoon of sugar and one teaspoon of salt. Two people will be satisfied with this amount.
Recipes for vegetarian Maki-Sushi
Maki sushi consist of rice, nori leaves and various vegetables, avocado, tofu or egg. When preparing vegetable maki, it is important that the ingredients are cut into thin strips. The best known vegetarian maki sushi are:
- Avocado Maki (with avocado)
- Kappa Maki (with cucumber)
- Paprika Maki (with red pepper)
- Shitake Maki (with Japanese mushrooms)
- Tamago Maki (with sweet omelette)
- Oshinko Maki (with pickled radish)
- Kampyo Maki (with pumpkin strips)
- Tofu Maki (with tofu)
BASIC RECIPE FOR MAKI-SUSHI WITHOUT FISH
- prepare rice, cut vegetables into fine strips
- Cut Nori sheets in the middle (for 1 Maki roll you only need ½ sheet)
- Place the smooth side of ½ Nori leaf on the bamboo mat
- Spread a thin layer of Wasabi on it.
- Moisten hands & spread rice in a thin layer evenly on top, leaving a good border at the top or bottom.
- Arrange the vegetable sticks, pickled vegetable strips, tofu or egg omelette (also cut into long, thin strips) lengthwise in a line on the rice.
- Roll up the contents with the bamboo mat and press them together well.
- Then cut the roll into small pieces, moisten the knife blade well before each cut.
RECIPES FOR VEGETARIAN CALIFORNIA ROLLS
California Rolls are Inside-Out-Sushis (I.O.), where the sushi is turned from the inside out. In this variant, the rice is on the outside and can be enhanced with roasted black and white sesame seeds. Some of the most popular Inside-Out rolls without fish are:
- Tamago I.O. (with sweet omelette)
- Kappa I.O. (with cucumber)
- Shinko I.O. (with pickled radish)
- Avocado I.O. (with avocado & cream cheese)
BASIC RECIPE FOR CALIFORNIA ROLLS
- Wrap bamboo mat in cling film
- Place ½ Nori leaf on top, cover with a thin layer of rice & turn over
- Spread the leaf thinly with wasabi, cream cheese or mayonnaise, arrange vegetable and/or tofu strips in a row on it
- Roll up firmly with the mat & hold the filling firmly with your fingers
- Squeeze mat to tighten & shape roll
- Take out the finished roll and roll it in sesame seeds.
- Cut & serve with a sharp knife into equally sized pieces
Recipes for vegetarian Nigiri sushi
Unlike Maki or Inside-Out sushi, Nigiri sushi is quick and easy to prepare. A special form of Nigiri is called Inari. These are small bags made of tofu that are filled with a rice ball, the nigiri. Finished tofu bags are available in well-assorted Asian shops. The most common variants of nigiri without fish are:
- Tamago Nigiri (with sweet omelette)
- Avocado Nigiri (with avocado)
- Kappa Nigiri (with cucumber)
- Shitake Nigiri (with mushrooms)
- Inari Nigiri (tofu bag)
BASIC RECIPE FOR NIGIRI-SUSHI
- Cut the omelette, avocado, vegetables or mushrooms into 2 x 5 cm pieces.
- moisten hands with water
- Form 2 tablespoons of rice by hand into a 4 cm long pile
- Spread some Wasabi on it according to taste
- Place the prepared topping on top of the rice and press down lightly.
- Wrap and serve with a thin strip of Nori if required
All sushi variations are traditionally served with wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger.
Interesting articles for you:
Those who would like to lose weight should opt for a vegetarian or vegan diet. With these two diets you can lose considerably more weight in the same period than with the usual diets – even if all diets deliver the same amount of calories. With a vegetarian diet you can lose almost twice as …
Most Sushis are made with fresh raw fish. What many don’t know: There are many sushi variations that do without fish and are therefore suitable for vegetarian and even vegan diets. Here you will find recipes for Maki, Inside-Out and Nigiri sushi without fish. You also need seaweed nori leaves, special sushi rice and the …
Andrea Duclos: The Plantiful Table Andreas Blog OhDearDrea has been one of my favorites for years. I love her colorful pictures, her style and her relaxed manner. Her book is a colorful collection of really uncomplicated and absolutely suitable recipes for everyday use. The completely vegan recipe collection is inspired by dishes from all over …
This post is also available in: German