Whether gnocchi with spinach or spinach with omelette – our spinach recipes will delight you
Cooking spinach the right way
- To cook spinach, first fold the spinach leaves lengthwise. The stalk can now be easily removed. Wash and drain the spinach leaves.
- Bring salted water to the boil and blanch the spinach for 30 seconds. If you immediately put the spinach in ice water, the leaves will remain green. Then squeeze out the spinach well and sauté in butter.
Be as strong as Popeye with spinach
As children we didn’t eat all the spinach in rough quantities – no wonder, we had been promised that we would become as strong as Popeye. That’s because of the iron, they said at the time. The sleek sailor poured the healthy green behind the cans before he faced his arch-enemy and saved his adored Olivia from many a danger. So the unloved green vegetable became a long runner for generations of children, who didn’t like it, but were bravely buried under fried eggs and fish sticks. An unparalleled marketing success!
A miscalculation wrote history
Later, it became known that there was a calculation error behind the legend of muscle-forming spinach: instead of 35 milligrams, 100 grams of fresh spinach contain only 3.5 milligrams of iron. But even that is now outdated, as a study from Sweden has now established: Spinach and other nitrate-containing vegetables actually strengthen the muscles. Even with the corrected values, spinach still contains more iron than many other vegetables.
One would have to take approximately 200 to 250 gram spinach for a clear effect for it to itself, however in combination with regular, intensive sporty activity. Not an easy task, with our delicious spinach recipes but not impossible one. For spinach is a very versatile vegetable, suitable for quiche as well as spinach salad, pasta, lasagne, baked main course, side dish , gratins with tomatoes, curry or green smoothies. You must also try the combination of leaf spinach and sheep’s cheese. Spinach is not only an all-round talent, but also really tasty – and very healthy!
Raw spinach – good or dangerous?
It is also advisable to eat leaf spinach now and then raw. This works well in salads or smoothie, for example, where you can even drink the many vitamins. But since raw spinach contains a higher amount of oxalic acid, you shouldn’t overdo it.
Our versatile spinach recipes show many inspirations for a varied diet with the green vegetables, covering the entire spectrum from salad to lasagne and various ways of preparation. Many of the recipes are also suitable for a diet and help you lose weight. We are sure: There is a nice recipe for everyone!
Gnocchi verde with spinach
- 300 grams spinach
- 500 grams potatoes
- 100 grams flour
- 3 egg yolks
- some salt
- a hint of nutmeg
And so the gnocchi verde are prepared with spinach:
- Wash and clean the spinach, blanch it and ice cold quench it. Then I squeeze it out by hand so that there is no more water in it. For my gnocchi I need 100 grams of pressed spinach, which I chop finely.
- In the meantime, I cook the potatoes in their skins until they are very soft and let them simmer for about ten minutes. Then I peel them and immediately put them through the potato press.
- I spread the chopped spinach on the potato mountain and press a hollow into it, into which I put the flour and the egg yolk. A little salt and a hint of nutmeg over it, and now I kneaded the whole thing into a dough. I don’t want it to get stiff, but it should have a firm consistency so that the gnocchi don’t disintegrate during cooking.
- I roll the finished dough into long, thin sausages one centimetre in diameter. Then I cut it into two centimetre long pieces, which I press down once with a fork. Now they only need about two minutes to draw in the almost boiling salt water – voilà!
- I like to serve melted butter, which I have seasoned with some fresh sage (finely chopped), a dash of lemon and some salt.
If you prefer cream sauces, just boil some cream with a nut butter. Add salt, pepper, fresh herbs (such as basil and tarragon), a dash of lemon and possibly a hint of nutmeg – and the sauce is ready. Parmesan cheese over it in quantity and shape, as one loves it.
Spinach bread with poached egg
Feel like a light snack, but not much time? Then we have a good idea: Spinach bread with poached egg is ready in 25 minutes and provides energy for the next few hours.
- simple, no alcohol, fast, vegetarian
- Ready in 25 minutes
- Servings: 3 portions
- Per serving: 280 kcal, 17g fat, 17g carbohydrates, 15g protein
- 150Gramm Cream spinach (deep-frozen)
- 1 onion (small)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 3 eggs (very fresh)
- 3 slices rye bread
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Chili flakes (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven grill.
- Defrost spinach. Peel and chop the onion. Heat the oil and fry the onion in it. Add spinach, heat, salt and pepper.
- Bring 1 liter of water and vinegar to the boil in a shallow pan. Stir until a “strudel” is formed in the middle. Beat the eggs one by one in a cup and let them glide in the strudel of the water that is no longer boiling; they should not run too much. Cook on a low heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove with a skimmer and drain.
- Roast bread slices briefly under the grill, place on a baking tray, add spinach and one egg each. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 3 minutes under the grill. Sprinkle with chilli flakes.
Spinach and ginger cream with cheese omelette
Preparation is everything: If you have little time, you can precook this soup perfectly at home and simply take this healthy lunch with you to work.
- easy, without alcohol, diet recipe, low in calories, good to prepare, fast, vegetarian
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Servings: 1 portion
- Per serving: 350 kcal, 22g fat, 22g carbohydrates, 16g protein
- 1 onion (60 g, in cubes)
- 80 grams apple (in cubes)
- 10 grams ginger (chopped)
- 0,25 TL cumin (seed, cumin)
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 150 grams frozen spinach (“young spinach, finely chopped” by Iglo)
- 150 milliliters organic vegetable broth
- 50 milliliters of milk (3.5% fat, or almond drink)
- Pepper (freshly ground)
- 100 grams (oven vegetables – see tips)
- 60 grams (cheese omelette – see tips)
- Brown onion and apple cubes, ginger and cumin in rapeseed oil. Add spinach, vegetable stock and milk and cook for 5-7 minutes covered.
- Puree the soup and season with salt and pepper. Briefly fry the cauliflower or heat it in the soup.
- Roll up the omelette, cut into strips and arrange on the soup.
This post is also available in: German