Pumpkins definitely contribute to the fact that I love autumn so much. Pumpkins, on the other hand, I like so much because they are super tasty and above all so versatile. Not only can you fill them with a delicious Persian rice dish, but you can also make a delicious soup or even desserts like this fantastic pumpkin pie. I could eat pumpkin all day long: from a pumpkin oatmeal in the morning to a pumpkin soup at noon (together with a fresh salad) to a pumpkin risotto in the evening. Delicious!
What I like best about this version is that the cake consists of only 7 ingredients, most of which you probably already have at home anyway – especially in autumn:
- pumpkin puree
- coconut milk
- Pumpkin pie spice mix
With the exception of the pumpkin, all other ingredients are processed raw so that the cake is almost raw vegan. You can treat yourself to a piece of this pumpkin cake for breakfast – it’s so healthy!
This recipe is perfect if you still have leftovers of cooked pumpkin, e.g. if you made this delicious stuffed pumpkin. But at least I wouldn’t shy away from boiling/baking a pumpkin first, only to make this pumpkin cake out of it then. By the way, this recipe makes no difference whether you use butternut or red kuri squash. I tried both and both are delicious!
It’s best to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea with it! Mmmmh!
For this delicious pumpkin pie you only need 7 wholesome ingredients. This cake is not baked and is almost raw. Best enjoyed with some cashew or whipped coconut cream.
Servings: 1 pie
- For the cake base
- 200 g walnuts
- 150 g dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- For the filling
- 450 g pumpkin puree
- 125 g dates
- 50 g coconut milk
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (see notes)
- For the cashew cream (alternatively serve with coconut cream/ cream)
- 250 g cashews (soaked in water for at least 1 hour)
- 120 ml water
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- Process walnuts, dates, cinnamon and salt in a food processor to a sticky dough. Fill the base and rim of a spring form pan evenly with the dough by pressing lightly.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling into a smooth mixture in a high performance mixer or food processor.
- Pour the filling into the spring form pan lined with the dough and smooth it out with a dough scraper/ the back of a spoon or knife. Leave to harden in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer about 1 hour before serving and allow to defrost. If it has to be done quickly, individual pieces can also be thawed in the oven for a few minutes.
- Serve with cashew cream (see below) or whipped coconut cream.
Cashew cream (alternatively serve with coconut cream)
- Simply mix all ingredients in a high performance mixer and keep in the fridge until serving.
Actually all nuts can be used. I like to use walnuts, because they are available regionally in autumn. A mix of walnuts and pecans would be really good for this cake.
For the pie you can use bought or homemade pumpkin puree.
If you can’t buy the pumpkin pie spice mixture anywhere, you can also make it yourself with the following ingredients: 3 tbsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp pimento, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp cloves. Simply mix and store in a glass or airtight container.
The recipe for the cashew cream is much more than what is needed to serve the cake. But you can simply halve the quantities. However, larger quantities can be better processed in the mixer. You can also freeze leftovers very easily, e.g. individually portioned with the help of an ice cube mould.
Those who would like to lose weight should opt for a vegetarian or vegan diet. With these two diets you can lose considerably more weight in the same period than with the usual diets – even if all diets deliver the same amount of calories. With a vegetarian diet you can lose almost twice as …
Most Sushis are made with fresh raw fish. What many don’t know: There are many sushi variations that do without fish and are therefore suitable for vegetarian and even vegan diets. Here you will find recipes for Maki, Inside-Out and Nigiri sushi without fish. You also need seaweed nori leaves, special sushi rice and the …
Andrea Duclos: The Plantiful Table Andreas Blog OhDearDrea has been one of my favorites for years. I love her colorful pictures, her style and her relaxed manner. Her book is a colorful collection of really uncomplicated and absolutely suitable recipes for everyday use. The completely vegan recipe collection is inspired by dishes from all over …
This post is also available in: German